Monday 3 December 2012

Our Dependency on Technology


For someone who has been described as very much a person who behaves and has the attitude of someone much older than himself, technology is an inescapable part of my life that I ashamedly struggle to function without. A last minute change of unexpected circumstances led me to head home for the weekend just gone as I had a work induction for my Christmas job. As it was late notice and the day I was to leave on was ridiculously busy, it meant that I couldn’t take my laptop home with me. Well.
            For the first day the problem didn’t seem to rear its head; I checked my e-mails on my phone, sent and received some tweets and Facebook comments and occasionally just filled some time by browsing on various useless apps I happened to download that really are nothing more than battery-sapping wastes of space. My sudden realisation that I was missing the instant satisfaction of my laptop suddenly smacked me in the chops on the second day, when I realised that I had wanted to print some things off using the printer at home. Resorting to using my parents laptop made me realise straight away my pathetic dependence on a 15” slab of plastic filled with electronics. It made me realise just how much of my day I am spent researching seminar prep, researching course books, browsing useless websites or watching videos on YouTube, if those last two things are even mutually exclusive, and made me feel quite strange.
            When did this happen? When did I let my life be dictated to me by this object that I’m supposed to own when it looks like the ownership is opposite to what I perceive it to be? Will this relationship with technology ever even die? I just don’t know. All I know is that after just three days I felt like what I imagine it might be like for smokers to go cold turkey or for an alcoholic to set every drop they own on fire. Perhaps not to that extent but there was a definite yearning for something I didn’t have that I wanted and felt I needed.
            The thing is that everything nowadays is so much easier because of computers, like it or not. I still haven’t bought into the idea of EBooks. Not because I don’t like the concept, but because I prefer a physical printed page; it’s a preference rather than a dismissal. But technology allows us to communicate faster and more frequently, to shop online (and be financially rewarded for doing so) and gives us access to views and opinions from all over the world that books, either printed or not, cannot give us. Plus, the internet also has digital comics and what’s not to like about that? Only me? Oh, okay.
            That said, I know most of the audience of this blog will feel the same. Those of all ages. See, It’s not just those under the age of twenty who have fully embraced new technology, it’s spreading across each generation – my Grandma has just created a Facebook account for god’s sake! It makes me wary when some people are so oblivious of the generations behind them embracing modern things; it displays an inherent ignorance that I find it hard to comprehend.
            We are becoming more reliant upon modern technology; it’s just the way of the world. There are plenty of traditional “technologies” still in play, some of them working better than their modern day equivalents and some of them are just preferences (straight razors and turntables spring to mind straight away), but we shouldn’t be afraid to embrace what’s coming. Every new technology has instilled caution in the public that received it, but if they hadn’t have received it, where would we be? Saying “ug” and wearing loin cloths is my bet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment