Sunday 10 February 2013

Being Cynical Never Hurt Anyone


My general cynicism towards most of the world and its inhabitants is something I’m often questioned about, either by people who know me or read the words that I occasionally organise into sentences and throw at the interweb. Most people get it and share my views on things, often revelling in the fact that I say what they think. But some evidently don’t, seeing me as both the visual and altogether literal version of the old dude from Up.

My problem is however, that I can’t believe that more people aren’t so cynical. There’s plenty to get annoyed about and in a world constantly branding all 13-20 year olds as mindless drunk thugs or, and I really hate this, youths, I think it’s much worse to sit back and let it happen than to question it and, at the very least, write occasionally humorous articles about things that really tick you off.

Take for instance the now accepted epidemic of fame that we encounter on a daily basis. Now it seems that you only have to appear on camera, pout and/or be an airhead from Essex to be famous, rather than having any concrete skill or talent (apart from being a raging great douche).

Back in the day, even when I was a nipper in the 90’s, you generally had to be talented to be famous; musicians, actors and sportsmen and women were flung into the public arena because of a skill they had and not because they were willing to release pictures of genitalia or create a viral video where they devoured feminine hygiene products. Of course this rule wasn’t always adhered to, but more often than not, this was the case.

However, with the exception of the odd person here or there nowadays who has a genuine talent, the dross of the celebrity Z-list are becoming an increasing problem; especially as people younger than me are led to believe that people like rejected X-Factor contestants and plastic reality-TV fleshwastes are people to aspire to.

Take Rylan Clark for example, who I was introduced to through the power of the arseholes who run TV, who is famous for being gay, flamboyant and not winning X-Factor. That’s it. That’s pretty much the pinnacle of a modern day celebrity; if you get enough consumerist teenagers behind a cause, the cause is instantly famous. It’s sickening.

Nobody questions this and when you talk to a large percentage people about him or, for example, Jedward they’ll say “oh, but they’re really funny.” And people ask me why I’m so cynical.

Then there’s people who are famous for a reason and really, in a modern context, shouldn’t be; like the Royals. Good luck trying to escape coverage of that baby in the latter half of this year. But that’s another rant for another day.

The world needs cynicism. If it wasn’t for a delightful injection of cynicism into the vein of the world, we’d all wander around with paperbacks of Jordan’s autobiography in one back pocket and a copy of the Royal Wedding Hello special in the other. We’d aimlessly walk down the street with a vacant look in our eyes as we pay £200 a ticket for a plastic American teenager to mime to autotune as he/she saps the very life from our brain and leaves us collapsed on the street outside, an empty shell of a consumerist monster with no money left and absolutely no taste.

The sad thing about this is that I can’t seem to imagine the end. For reasons unbeknown to me, a large majority of teenagers like ‘talent’ shows. Britain’s Got Talent’s coming up next, presumably with Amanda Holden complete with her face that looks like Ronald Lacey’s melting death mask at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. This upcoming series will no doubt spout another stream of talentless but nonetheless ‘quirky’ brainfarts and pusbots, who will then inherit all ITV2 and BB3 presenting jobs for the next million years and will appear in pulp, teen pop magazines telling us what flavour of ice-cream they like or what crap, consumerist nonsense they “can’t live without”.

I’m done now, I’m sick of this. Call me when it’s the Apocalypse or when Rylan releases an album. Same thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment