Thursday 18 April 2013

A Letter to My Seven-Year-Old Self


Dear Greg,

If you’re reading this I can only imagine that you are sat on the sofa wearing your Superman costume and cape that you made Mum make whilst studying meticulously the end credits of The New Adventures of Superman for reference. It looks good. If that’s the case, and I have no doubt whatsoever that it is, then I’ve got some incredible news. I’m writing to you from the year 2013 – crazy right – and I’ve just seen the trailer for a new Superman film. I know that you’re years and years away but already we’ve had three amazing Batman films that make your favourite film, Batman Forever, look a bit old.

I know how much you love Batman Forever because, well, I’m you, (work with me here) but it gets so much better trust me. I know that you’ve nearly worn out that video that Mum and Dad taped for you off Channel Five but never fear, in the future you treat yourself to a reissued, 2-disc collector’s edition when your first block of student loan comes through. That’s right, in the future you go to University and you still spend your money on Batman films.

Anyway, back to Superman (the cape still looks great by the way, remember to thank Mum profusely again and again), it’s a fantastic looking thing and puts the 2-video set, animated collection in its place (oh and by the way how weird and creepy is the Toymaker on that video!?)

Right now I’m sat at my desk in my room in Leeds with a Batman poster on the wall in front, to the left and to the right of me. I’ve also got a Justice League poster on the back of my door (and very soon you’ll come to learn the wonders of the Justice League). I’ve got a stack of comic books by my bed and I’m drinking out of my Batman mug.

I’m telling you this because I want to reassure you that you never give it up. You’re concerned that at some point you’re going to have to grow out of it, but you never have to and you never will. These new Batman films that I told you about continue to make it acceptable for grown men and even older teenagers to still love their childhood heroes, even if their childhood heroes wear their underpants outside of their trousers.

There’s a shop called Forbidden Planet. There’s one in Leeds. You go there often. There’s Star Wars stuff, Batman stuff, Superman stuff and all sorts of stuff that excite you equally as much in 2013 as they do now, only the stuff has got a million times better. You’ll love it.

Try and give Mum a break from time to time though, she has other things to other than back pictures out of your superhero magazines on to cardboard.  Just make sure you let her know how much you appreciate it.

Oh and by the way, the cape survives. I’ve got it now. It still fits.

Love,
Greg

1 comments:

BFC my media blog said...

haha nice one greg

Post a Comment